Klosterschenke Weltenburg Restaurant —
A restaurant with a very long history
For ages, monasteries have been equipped to cater to guests, pilgrims, craftspeople and visitors. Situated at the magnificent natural spectacle of the Danube Gorge along the so-called Weltenburg Narrows, the abbey at Weltenburg also provided Danube fishermen and skippers with the opportunity of a meal and lodging. However, the first licence for a public house and restaurant was not applied for until 1826, a time when the monastery had been secularized. When the Benedictine monks were able to buy back the brewery and restaurant in 1846, they ran their own restaurant until 1875. Subsequently, the Klosterschenke restaurant was initially leased to innkeeper Mr. Wimmer. Two further lessors followed before the Röhrl family signed the lease to run the restaurant in 1934. They ran the Klosterschenke for 82 years and three generations, until 2016. Since 2011, the Klosterschenke has belonged to the Weltenburger Klosterbetriebe GmbH, for whom Rolf Holthausen has been managing the restaurant since 2016.
Further information is available in our newsletter, “Wirtshausbladl”.
[3d-flip-book mode="thumbnail-lightbox" urlparam="fb3d-page" id="356" title="true" lightbox="light"]